Diabetes mellitus is a real “plague” of the XXI century. More and more people on the planet suffer from eternal fatigue, strong thirst, nonhealing wounds and numb limbs, which are the main signs of this disease.
It is impossible to cure diabetes mellitus yet, but it is quite real to fight it. The main thing is to know the enemy in person, says Dr. Denis Slinkin.
These types of diabetes are highlighted:
- Insulin-dependent (type 1 diabetes mellitus – absolute insulin deficiency): often found in young people and children;
- Insulin-independent (type 2 diabetes mellitus – partial insulin deficiency): often found in people overweight over 40 years of age. It is the most common type of disease (about 85% of all cases).
Causes of diabetes mellitus
Dr. Denis Slinkin argues that the main cause of type 1 diabetes is a malfunction of the immune system and subsequent production of antibodies that destroy cells of the pancreas.
The main factor of the disease is a viral infection (chickenpox, rubella, mumps, hepatitis), complete with genetic predisposition.
But the main factors for the development of type 2 diabetes are hereditary predisposition (increases the risk of disease by a factor of three to six) and overweight (obesity in the first degree increases the probability of diabetes by a factor of two, in the second degree – by a factor of five, in the third degree – by a factor of ten; abdominal obesity is especially dangerous), says Dr. Denis Slinkin.
Type 2 diabetes mellitus may also occur:
- hormonal diseases;
- pancreatic diseases;
- genetic syndromes;
- changes in insulin receptors.
- In addition, there are cases of development:
- symptomatic (secondary) diabetes;
- diabetes in pregnant women;
- diabetes caused by nutritional deficiencies.